Image hosting by Photobucket

Countdown to Christmas

Friday, December 09, 2005



Don't you just love the Christmas season? I absolutely LOVE this time of year! In Louisiana we get excited when the temperature gets below 60! :) It was 40 degrees this morning when I left for school and it felt so good!!! The cold weather makes me excited, and ready to go shopping. We have already started counting down the days...

On Christmas morning my kids get up early to see what fun presents Santa has brought them. Then around 10 or 11, my parents and my sister & her husband usually come to my house and we open gifts and have a large meal. We also read the Christmas story aloud from the Bible to remind everyone what the true meaning of Christmas is. All day the kids play with their obscene stack of toys (between Santa and grandma I don't see how Toys-r-Us has any toys left!!) while the adults play board games and visit. Last year it actually snowed ALL DAY here on Christmas day. Now those of you from the North would probably argue that what we experienced here last year was slush or sleet or some other wet white substance, but to us southerners any white stuff that falls from the sky is SNOW!! :) :) :) We had such a great time! Here's wishing for another white Christmas!

What are YOUR Christmas traditions? Any special plans this year?

4 tattled:

  • At 12/12/2005 11:58 AM, Blogger Mandy said…

    As newlyweds we don't have a lot of traditions yet. We're getting our first turn at hosting the family for Christmas- the second half of establishing one-year-there-one-year-here.

    Since Christmas is on Sunday we'll get up, have a nice breakfast and do stockings, then church service. Sometime later that day we'll take my family to see my husband's family on the other side of town and that evening open presents by the Christmas tree.

    In north western Oregon we don't get a lot of snow in December (due to warm currents from the Pacific Ocean) so I think what you got last year was great- more than we had for sure!

     
  • At 12/14/2005 1:49 PM, Blogger Renee said…

    Hi LaMommy -
    I'm a La. mom too. I found your blog thru Bloggin on the Bayou . . enjoyed looking around.

     
  • At 12/16/2005 6:49 AM, Blogger MarylandMommy said…

    We are going home to Illinois to be with both of our families (who live about 7 miles apart). I am so excited!!! We do Santa but he isn't REALLY hyped up around here. Last year, I started a tradition with Seth & we make Jesus a birthday cake. I got the idea from Lisa Welchel's book: The ADVENTure of Christmas. It has some really good traditions for children that teaches the true meaning of Christmas. I think I am going to put it on my blog today. Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

     
  • At 12/23/2005 9:31 AM, Blogger BayouMaMa said…

    I absolutely LOVE Christmas! I didn't always have a tree as a little girl...so we have a tree...a BIG one!

    We've started a new tradition this year. Everynight (at least everynight that I don't fall asleep on my recliner *blush*) we read a Christmas story book and then everybody gets one ornament to place on the tree...so our tree just gets prettier every day.

    The true meaning of Christmas is emphasized in our home...but we do have fun waiting for Santa Claus. We leave cookies and milk for him, throw out reindeer food on the lawn, and last year Santa left "footprints" near the chimney (courtesy of BayouPaPa's boots and some baby powder).

    This year, "Santa" is going to put Baby Jesus in our nativity scene when he stops by to drop off the boys presents. (This was my Dad's tradition when he was a little boy.)

    My goodness! I better get off of this computer...Christmas is only 2 days away and I have some more hustling and bustling to do!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home