Image hosting by Photobucket

What Ever Happened to Atari?

Saturday, July 09, 2005




I'm feeling old today, folks.

I used to think I was computer savvy - ahead of the game in my knowledge of computers, but that time is slowly fading away... :)

I have been trying to add new features to my blog, like adding myself to the site Blog Explosion - but the whole credits/traffic thing totally confused me. I spent about 30 minutes chatting with Blog Explosion users who were between the ages of 19 and 23 trying to figure out what it was all about. I don't know what has happened to me...my five year old can now beat me at Nintendo GameCube games. My 7 year old spouts off websites left and right and I am left looking at the two of them going "Huh?".

It amazes me how quickly children these days have picked up on computers and the Internet. When I was their age the coolest thing in the world was the pong game you could hook up to your TV. And then came Atari - now that was awesome!

Any other moms (or dads) experiencing this right now?

By the way, this might be fun -- what was your favorite Atari game? Mine was Haunted House.

7 tattled:

  • At 7/09/2005 2:22 PM, Blogger BayouMaMa said…

    Yeah...they're good at electronic stuff alright...but can they milk a cow? can they cook on a campfire? can they change the TV without using a remote control?

    Ok, I can only do 1 out of those 3...but my point is, what if there were no electicity? Of course, I'm thinking about this because of our recent power outage. But truly, it was pathetic...the boys were good, but it was like we were sitting on her hands trying to figure out what we could do without the use of electricity. I just realized how dependent we are on it. And let's face it, computers do make our lives so much easier...or do they?

    As for my favorite video game...that would be Centipede.

     
  • At 7/10/2005 8:31 PM, Blogger MarylandMommy said…

    My little guy is only 3 but is amazing with a mouse already!!! I am sure all of that is right around the corner for me.....but I am determined to keep up! LOL!

    My favorite ATARI games were Frogger, Space Invaders & PacMan.....ahh the memories!!!

     
  • At 7/11/2005 1:10 AM, Blogger Kim said…

    Oooooo, Frogger, PacMan & Ping Pong. Those were the days. Now the games are all 3D and it makes me a little nauseous. lol

    I started my first website at 17 but then got a life away from computers. Now that I'm back I realize that the computer world has moved on without me and I'm totally clueless. Thank goodness for View - Source so I can copy code. lol

     
  • At 7/11/2005 7:41 AM, Blogger Mary said…

    Frogger was definitely my favorite atari game.. It is super funny and amazing how much kids these days know. My 6 year old daughter is always trying to explain to my husband how to make the computer work. I am always laughing at him about it..

     
  • At 7/11/2005 10:31 AM, Blogger LAMommyof3 said…

    Ooohhh -- Frogger was a lot of fun! I also loved Pitfall. Those were the days! :)

    I know what you mean about the 3D Kim - I tried to play some of those 3D games on the Game Cube and it's hard to maneuver!!

    Thanks Barbara - I know I am blessed by my children. And lol about not reading the directions - my sons are the same way!

    LOL Mary - kids are amazing!! (By the way, yours are adorable!)

     
  • At 7/14/2005 4:06 PM, Blogger Lone Ranger said…

    I haven't had a decent computing experience since I gave up my Atari ST. My favorite game was Donkey Kong. By the way, you can get Atari joysticks that have games programmed into them. You just plug it into your TV and you're back in the 80s.

     
  • At 7/14/2005 4:07 PM, Blogger LAMommyof3 said…

    I know! We have a few of them - I love playing Pac-Man! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home