Image hosting by Photobucket

Sibling Rivalry

Thursday, June 23, 2005


I remember what it was like when I was 13 and my little sister was 9 and all she wanted to do was follow me around - especially at my slumber parties. I also remember the time she slapped herself on the arm until it was red and then blamed it on me. There was also the time that I tortured her and made her believe her Cricket doll was like Chucky and it was going to come to life. Ahh, the memories...

Having siblings can be wonderful, but they can also be the source of a great deal of conflict in the home. My sister and I alternated between loving each other one minute and fighting like cats and dogs the next. Knowing that, you would think that it wouldn't surprise me that my two sons do the same thing.

My husband and I have a 4 bedroom home - which seemed huge when we started building it because we only had 2 kids. Halfway through building I got pregnant, and to make a long story short, the office became a nursery. We decided to put our sons (who are 19 months apart - 7 and almost 6 right now) in the same bedroom and use the other bedroom as a playroom. That seemed like such a great idea and it worked for almost 2 years. Now that my oldest son has a little brother and a little sister who seem to want to follow HIM everywhere, I figured that he would appreciate a space of his own. Last week I decided to split up the boys and turn the playroom into a bedroom. Boy that playroom was a mess. It took several days to get both rooms completely split and ready, but now its all done and the boys both seem really happy. I've actually noticed that they've been fighting a little bit less. It's nice having some peace and quiet around here... :)

Even though having a playroom was very convenient, each child having his or her own room is even better. Having all of us together in the family room is very special and we do it all the time, but having a big family means little alone time. Now that the boys have their own rooms, they can have that.

My sister and I are the very best of friends now, and I pray that my children will have that one day too. Until then I'll just have to play referee.

1 tattled:

  • At 6/27/2005 11:52 PM, Blogger BayouMaMa said…

    I am an only child...and I just don't get it. It would have been so nice to have an "in-house" playmate. My boys have a love/dislike relationship. They start off the day with hugs and "mornin' bubba" and before lunch time, they are screaming and tattling and pouting and carrying on like enemies of war. After a few time outs and a few glaring looks from mommy...they settle down and are instant pals once again...until the next toy is coveted by both at the same time. At the end of the day, they seem sad to say good-bye for the night...and the mornings are a celebration as each one awakens to find the other...but the rest of the day and all of the in-between time...is truly a mis-matched game and I also am a referee...trying to give each one a fair call and figure out the rules as I go.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home